Flodden 1513 Ecomuseum is the first cross-border ecomuseum in the United Kingdom. The sites of the ecomuseum are spread across the UK from the far north to the low south. There are 24 local sites of Flodden Ecomuseum throughout Northumberland and the Borders regions. There are 8 distant sites of the Ecomuseum.
The List of Distant Sites
1. Castle Semple
The Historic Scotland owns and cares for Castle Semple Collegiate Church which is located in the Muirshiel Regional Park just a few miles west of Paisley. There is a visitors center with a cycle path going from the church to the center. Inside the church is the tomb of Lord Sempill who was killed at the Battle of Flodden. He is one of the few whose remains were returned to Scotland.
The city has many connections to Flodden and has multiple sites of the Ecomuseum. One of the most visible is the remains of the old town wall. The Flodden Wall was built around the southern part of the medieval town which enclosed the Grassmarket, the religious houses of Greyfriars and Blackfriars, and the 15th-century houses built along the Cowgate. This wall existed for some time before the Battle but was significantly refortified and restored after the Battle. Remains of this wall are seen today in the old town of Edinburgh including the churchyard in Greyfriars. Go here for a map of the Flodden Wall locations.
Also in Edinburgh is The Bore Stane, a small sculpted stone from where James IV led his army south on 17 August 1513. Today it is near the wall of Morningside Parish Church and has been so since 1910. Before, it laid in an adjacent field.
Edinburgh Castle is a very popular tourist destination. It was the seat of the Scottish crown and the target of any retaliatory invasion after the Battle.
Boroughmuir, now known as the Meadows, is a green space on the south side of Edinburgh. James IV called for his army from here before heading south towards Duns.
Two sites are located here, the Church of St. Michael the Archangel and Framingham Castle. The Castle is the family seat of the Howard Dukes of Norfolk from 1483 until after the death of the Flodden Duke in 1524. The English Heritage now cares for the Castle.
The Church of St. Michael is the family parish and burial site for the Howard family including Lord Admiral and the 2nd Duke. The Flodden Helm which is the burial helmet of the 2nd Duke is held by the Church.
Linlithgow Palace and St. Michael’s Church are two adjacent sites. The Palace was a Renaissance retreat used by Scotland’s monarchs. James IV favored this residence and issued the order to raise his army from here. His wife, Margaret waited for his return here as well. St. Michael’s Church is said to have been where James IV prayed before leaving Edinburgh.
5. Middleton Church
In 1524 the Parish Church of St. Leonard was finished and had two stone arches used from an earlier Norman church. Before the Norman church was built in 1100 or so, it was believed to have been the site of a wooden Saxon church. Sir Richard Assheton extended the church to celebrate his knighting by Henry VIII for his role in the Battle. A glazed war memorial, the Flodden Window, lists the names of the Middleton archers who fought at Flodden. The Church also has the only brass in the UK of an English Civil War officer in full armor, Major-General Sir Ralph Assheton.
6. Stirling Castle
This royal castle is located on a strategic crossroad of Scotland. James IV created his royal court and royal residence for his family here.
7. The Mary Rose
This ship was the flag carrier of Thomas Howard. It carried about 1000 troops to join the English army in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Whithorn was a famous and important pilgrimage center for the town’s association with Ninian, Scotland’s first saint. It is thought to be the cradle of Christianity in Scotland. This was a pilgrimage destination for Scottish King James IV.